About Me

My photo
I am a Mom of two young lads, a fitness fanatic and wife to a die-hard Packers/Brewers fan. I worked in corporate america for 12 years. Now I am on a new adventure - raising my sons and working part-time in the fitness industry as a Personal Trainer and Group Exercise Instructor. I hope you stop by and read my updates- family, fitness, or life related!

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Busy Bee!

So I haven't told everybody, but most people close to me know that I have been studying to take my personal training certified board test for about seven weeks. I made this decision at the beginning of April, jumping in feet first. I ordered the study materials, put myself on a rigid time schedule and aimed to take the test sometime before Memorial weekend. I wanted to officially put the books down for the summer if possible. In order to keep on this timetable, that would mean I had to do about two hours of studying per day and maybe more on weekends.

I was a little worried about how I was going to get in all this studying with two little boys at home, and not much quiet time (or any). I had good days and bad days, but I kept plugging away and looked at my book and study materials every single day for seven weeks. Whether it was nap/quiet time, or when the boys went to bed, or even as I jogged on the treadmill at the Y- my books were always with me! When we went up north, the books came along so I could study in the car and while everyone napped. The last weekend of studying before my test, Joe took the boys to his parents so I could get a full day of studying in with no interruptions. I made about 600 flashcards and knew every single one of them by test day.

So, test day came this last Thursday. I was nervous as could be. It was 100 questions and we got 90 minutes. There were a lot of questions where I could narrow it down to two, and then both of those sounded pretty good so I had to choose quickly knowing that time was ticking away. Many were scenarios beyond what I had studied, so I had to use critical thinking to narrow it down. I had to rush at the end as time was almost out, my heart was beating fast and as they came to tell me I had to be done. I didn't have a good feeling as I walked out. My hands were shaking, I felt a little sick to my stomach. It wasn't the big "phew" feeling I was expecting after test completion. To make it worse, I had to wait to get my results. I was restless and worried all weekend. I was pretty sure I bombed it and was going to have to re-take it. The results arrived in the mail yesterday and low and behold, I am an official certified Personal Trainer! One of my life goals that I wasn't sure I would ever conquer is now complete. I thank my family for supporting me in these crazy seven weeks. Braden will be glad I can read him books not rushed anymore since I am not speeding off to go study! Joe will be happy to see me more relaxed and not stressed. :)

This week is filled with Braden's last swim lesson, last day of school, etc...so we haven't celebrated yet- but I am sure I will find a way to do so soon! I look foward to returning to the non-study life and get some sleep again. Excited about the possibilities to come. Time will tell what my next steps are, for now I get to explore options and see. I may soon be able to say what I want to be when I grow up! :)

No comments: