About Me

My photo
I am a Mom of two young lads, a fitness fanatic and wife to a die-hard Packers/Brewers fan. I worked in corporate america for 12 years. Now I am on a new adventure - raising my sons and working part-time in the fitness industry as a Personal Trainer and Group Exercise Instructor. I hope you stop by and read my updates- family, fitness, or life related!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Whole Lot of Tabata!

If you are connected to me via Facebook, you read a lot of posts about Tabata- a new group fitness class that I am teaching twice a week. I am in my sixth week of teaching this class and I have to tell you- people love it! There are 40 to 50 folks coming in the door to sweat like crazy during this 30 min workout. So, what is Tabata for those that don't know (and wonder why the heck I keep talking about it)? Here are some basic details:

1.) The Tabata protocol is a high-intensity interval workout.

2.) It includes 20 seconds of maximal intensity effort followed by a 10 second rest. This is repeated for 8 sets. So each move is approximately 4 minutes total. You could do 4, 6 or 8 moves total in your workout (you always want to do a warm-up and cool down as well).

3.)The high intensity nature of Tabata provides a significant “after burn effect” that primes your body to continue burning fat for hours after completion.

4.)Tabata improves both aerobic and anaerobic capacity, better than steady state cardio.

5.)Tabata can be done with virtually any exercise that allows you to exert maximum effort in short bursts.

6.) In short, the Tabata protocol can provide the best fat burning cardio workout.

I started doing Tabata on my own about 8 weeks ago and have seem some changes in my body. I was looking for a way to bring my workouts to the next level in order to get results, and Tabata is helping me to achieve that. If you are looking for a way to step up your workout regimen, give Tabata a try. What can it hurt? Well, it may hurt a little...ha! But, that hurt is only that "burn" feeling that you get when you are having a crazy good workout and know you are doing something good for your body.
With my passion for fitness, I hope to incorporate more fitness tips, tricks and advice into my blog. If I can help inspire, motivate or educate even one person via the internet, then these posts will be worth it. :) More to come...

No comments: